fixing boiler cracks
Jean Falbo-Sosnovich, Register Correspondent December 28, 2000
DERBY — Work crews began repairing two damaged boilers at Bradley School on Wednesday.
The emergency repairs are expected to be complete by the end of the week, in time for students to return to class after the Christmas break, school officials said.
Cracks were discovered in the 6-year-old boilers last month during a routine check, Board of Education Chairman Jim Gildea said. The boilers were installed during the elementary school’s last renovation.
The repairs are being performed by the Edgerton Co. of Monroe at a cost of $10,000.
The money will come out of the school board’s maintenance budget and is expected to be partially refunded by the boiler manufacturer due to the relative newness of the boilers.
Once the cracks were discovered, school officials decided to go ahead and hire a repair firm right away rather than take the time to go out to bid. That way, the repairs could be completed while children were away from school for Christmas vacation.
Students head back to class Tuesday.
The Board of Aldermen voted in favor of waiving the bids for the project last week, as did the Board of Apportionment and Taxation at a special meeting held Tuesday, according to Aldermanic President Michael Kelleher, D-3.
Kelleher said the boilers are still functioning, and the K-6 school was never without heat or hot water.
"Both boilers developed cracks," Kelleher said.
"They both experienced thermal shock, caused by cold water that re-entered the boilers."
Kelleher said the boilers likely would have ceased to function in the near future had the emergency repair work not been approved this week.